Time is money and you would not want to waste your money on futile ventures, would you? Among the most futile feelings, anger occupies the top spot and is not only useless but proves to be detrimental in most cases. Every decision taken while angry is a decision that you will regret later on. And there is scientific reason behind this. Our brain can only process a certain amount of stress at a given time. Think of it as a room with limited capacity and strong feelings like anger occupy a huge amount of mental space leaving little room for more productive aspects like rational thinking and decision making. An angry young man sounds good only when said out loud but is in fact quite detrimental to a person’s health both psychologically and physically.
So, how does Anger affect You?
- Anger triggers the body’s fight or flight response and our body get filled with the stress hormones like adrenaline and cortisol.
- Heart rate increases, blood pressure rises, perspiration increases, along with a general rise in the body’s temperature. Not a rosy picture, is it? And if you are one of those people who are constantly angry and fly into a rage at the slightest of hints, the constant flood of stress hormones and the associated physiological changes can cause harm to many bodily systems.
- Insomnia, blood pressure problems, anxiety and even depression are some problems that you might face if you are agitated for the greater part of the day and have been doing so for a long time now.
Be Calm, Be Happy, Be Awesome
Your face contorts and your muscles tense up when you are in a rage. The same person looks much uglier when he/she is angry than when they are smiling. This along with the psychological and physiological ramifications should be enough reason for us to avoid this destructive feeling but most of the times our minds and bodies are not completely in our control. There are some things that you can do to dissipate or neutralise this feeling:
1. Count to 20 when something or someone flares up your wrath. But not in a flash, do it slowly and deliberately with each count coming at approximately the passing of every second.
2. And now once you are calm, go on to express your displeasure if you still feel like it. Revenge is best served cold.
3. Run or do some other physically exhausting exercise when angry and until you can no longer move a limb. This way you put your fury to productive use and your body will remember the pain it will have to go through if it flies into a rage.
4. To err is human, to forgive is divine. Do not hold grudges. Forgive. Move on.
For Every Minute You are Angry You Lose Sixty Seconds of Happiness
Seriously, why stay angry when you can do a thousand other things with your time? You want revenge? Plot it with a cool head. Someone is cheating you? Make him pay. But do not let this emotion take hold of you as it only serves its own purpose and serves nobody but itself, consuming the bearer. Instead smile as if you could not care less. Whenever you feel angry, remember that it is a complete waste of mind space and time, and you could be doing something much better and fruitful in the meantime. Every moment spent in anger is the moment lost that isn’t going to come back ever again. Be a miser in this regard. You deserve to be happy every second of your life and do not trade this happiness with anything else too easily.
Written By: Prasun Jha
GET INSPIRATIONAL ARTICLES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
Subscribe to our mailing list and get the Latest Inspirational Article to your Email Inbox. It's FREE!
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.